Geri Allen (June 12, 1957 – June 27, 2017) was an American composer, educator, and jazz pianist.
Allen worked with many influential jazz musicians, including Ornette Coleman, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, and Charles Lloyd. Musical influences were Marcus Belgrave, Donald Walden, and Betty Carter, as well as pianists Herbie Hancock, Mary Lou Williams, Hank Jones, Alice Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Bud Powell, and her mentor Dr. Billy Taylor.
She released 19 albums as a leader and countless albums as sidewoman, notably her work with Ornette Coleman was one of the few times he used a piano as part of his work, and the trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian released some classic albums in the 1990s.
This show picks some key moments in an illustrious career. In between new and recent releases from the Jazz World.
- Geri Allen – See You At Per Tutti’s – In The Year Of The Dragon
- 9Volt – Squegee – Open Circuit
- Charnett Moffett – Mood Indigo – Music from Our Soul
- Evan Parker – What Else Did You Expect – Reunion : Live at Cafe Oto
- Zack Clarke – Up On The High – Random Acts Of Order
- Gerl Allen, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian – It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago – Live at the Village Vanguard
- Witches and Devils – Angels – Live at the Empty Bottle
- Oddjob – Småland – Sumo
- Geri Allen – A Celebration of all Life – The Printmaker
- Ernie Watts – Don’t Look Now – Unity
- Tim Daisy, Michael Thieke, Ken Vandermark – Tuesday At Noon – Triptych
- Steve Coleman – Wights Waits for Wrights – Motherland Pulse
- Dewey Redman – Boo Boodoop – Living on the Edge
- Adam Pieronczyk, Miroslav Vitous = Radio Telescope – Ad Lib Orbits
- Rodney Whittaker – On Green Dolphin Street – Children of the Light
- Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, featuring Geri Allen – Lonely Woman – Etudes
- Geri Allen – Night’s Shadow – The Nurturer