Just the one keynote jazz gig at the Band on the Wall for May 2017 featuring local artist Matthew Halsall.
Manchester based trumpeter, composer, arranger and band-leader Matthew Halsall is one of the rising stars of European Jazz. His eastern-influenced sound draws on the modal jazz of Pharoah Sanders and John Coltrane alongside contemporary dance music and his uniquely life-affirming music has been championed by the likes of Gilles Peterson and Patrick Forge. His latest project finds him working with legendary LA vocalist Dwight Trible whose deeply soulful voice has seen him compared to the likes of Leon Thomas and Andy Bey and who brings a vibrant energy to everything he sings. Expect deep spiritual jazz, funky soul-jazz classics and beautiful ballads from John Coltrane and Nina Simone to Donny Hathaway and beyond as heard on their forthcoming Gondwana Records release, ‘Inspiration’.
The gig is on May 4th – more details at The Band on The Wall website
I’ve featured tracks from the recent Halsall release “Into Forever” and in between recent jazz releases.
- Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra – Longhsan Temple – Into Forever
- Julia Hülsmann Trio – From Afar – Sooner and Later
- Jeff Platz – Seer & Seen – Neu Cabal
- The Microscopic Septet – Dark Blue – Been Up So Long It Looks Like Down to Me: The Micros Play the Blues
- Chris Potter – The Dreamer Is The Dream – The Dreamer Is the Dream
- Achim Kaufmann & Olie Brice – To Heap – Of Tides
- Harris Eisenstadt Canada Day – We All Ate What We Wanted to Eat, Parts 2,5 – On Parade In Parede
- Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra – Daan Park – Into Forever
- Roscoe Mitchell with Yuganaut – Son Warship – Four Ways
My monthly look at what’s coming up at the Band on the Wall, Manchester’s premiere music venue includes Nat Birchall, Bill Laurence and Jo Harman. In between there is a variety of recently released jazz.
Award-winning Soul and Blues singer-songwriter Jo Harman returns to Band on the Wall on the 23rd to celebrate the worldwide release of her new LP, ‘People We Become’, the follow up to her critically acclaimed 2013 debut ‘Dirt On My Tongue’. Recorded in Nashville, at Sound Emporium and other noted studios with producer Fred Mollin (Billy Joel, Jimmy Webb, Carly Simon, Joe Cocker, Johnny Mathis and many more) the album features Michael McDonald on the first single ‘When We Were Young’ which I got a preview copy of several weeks back.
Bill Laurance is a British pianist and composer. A world-renowned multi instrumentalist, composer and producer dubbed a “jazz maestro” by The Guardian, Bill has released four albums to date as a leader and has travelled across the globe and through a myriad of award-winning musical projects including his quartet, project, duo and as a solo pianist. He begins a UK tour in February in association with the BOTW.
Jazz saxophonist Nat Birchall’s music dares to inhabit the same sacred spaces as the giants of yesteryear. Most of these colossi are long gone, only warriors such as Pharoah Sanders and Billy Harper remain, spreading the divine flame throughout the earth that they still inhabit. But the temples are still here if we choose to enter and search for the truth. Nat belongs to a small group of like-minded musicians who seek to approach the heights of ecstatic music in the same selfless fashion and with the same devotion as the masters did back in the day. Yet this is music very much in the “now”, because the music demands that only this moment is of value, here and right now. Uplifting music that transports the mind and cleanses the soul. Nat plays the BOTW on March 2nd.
- Bill Laurence – Aftersun – Aftersun
- Camilla George – Mami Wata Returns/Usuro – Isang
- Ellery Eskelin, Christian Weber, Michael Griener – Cornelia Street – Sensations of Tone
- Jukko Perka Avara – He Left The Road – Invisible Man
- Ben Van Gelder – Pause – Among Vertical
- Naked Wolf – Wugiwoo – Ahum
- Rich Perry – Detour Ahead – Mood
- Ronny Graupe – Kappler Drehe – The White Belt
- Nat Birchall – Love In The Cosmos – Creation
- Lena Circus, Itaru Oki – Love for Sale – Zanshin
- Jeff Platz – Duration – Low Light Filter
- Morten Schantz – Escape Velocity – Godspeed
- Jo Harman – When We Were Young -Single