Just the one keynote jazz gig at the Band on the Wall for May 2017 featuring local artist Matthew Halsall.
Manchester based trumpeter, composer, arranger and band-leader Matthew Halsall is one of the rising stars of European Jazz. His eastern-influenced sound draws on the modal jazz of Pharoah Sanders and John Coltrane alongside contemporary dance music and his uniquely life-affirming music has been championed by the likes of Gilles Peterson and Patrick Forge. His latest project finds him working with legendary LA vocalist Dwight Trible whose deeply soulful voice has seen him compared to the likes of Leon Thomas and Andy Bey and who brings a vibrant energy to everything he sings. Expect deep spiritual jazz, funky soul-jazz classics and beautiful ballads from John Coltrane and Nina Simone to Donny Hathaway and beyond as heard on their forthcoming Gondwana Records release, ‘Inspiration’.
The gig is on May 4th – more details at The Band on The Wall website
I’ve featured tracks from the recent Halsall release “Into Forever” and in between recent jazz releases.
- Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra – Longhsan Temple – Into Forever
- Julia Hülsmann Trio – From Afar – Sooner and Later
- Jeff Platz – Seer & Seen – Neu Cabal
- The Microscopic Septet – Dark Blue – Been Up So Long It Looks Like Down to Me: The Micros Play the Blues
- Chris Potter – The Dreamer Is The Dream – The Dreamer Is the Dream
- Achim Kaufmann & Olie Brice – To Heap – Of Tides
- Harris Eisenstadt Canada Day – We All Ate What We Wanted to Eat, Parts 2,5 – On Parade In Parede
- Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra – Daan Park – Into Forever
- Roscoe Mitchell with Yuganaut – Son Warship – Four Ways